Call for Papers
The AHCT Annual Spanish Golden Age Theater Symposium
April 11–13, 2019
Hilton Garden Inn, El Paso.
Submission deadline: October 1, 2018
The Association for Hispanic Classical Theater invites submissions for its 2019 Symposium. The conference dates coincide with the world’s longest-running Spanish Golden Age theater festival, the Siglo de Oro Drama Festival at the Chamizal National Memorial, April 10–13, 2019. The AHCT provides conference attendees tickets and transportation to and from the Chamizal each evening to attend the plays. The Association encourages studies on performance aspects of Siglo de Oro plays, though proposals for papers or special sessions on other topics related to Spanish Golden Age theater are welcome. Possible areas of analysis may include, but are not limited to:
- Contemporary performances of Golden Age plays
- Performances in interesting historical and/or cultural contexts
- Music and/or dance in relation to performance of Siglo de Oro plays
- The performance history of a play or thematically related plays
- Audiences or reception theories in relation to performance
- Directors’ and/or actors’ perspectives on Siglo de Oro plays
- Intercultural exchange in the performance of Golden Age plays
- Performance elements of Golden Age plays in translation
- Costumes, props, lighting, sets, and/or scenery
- Golden Age performance and technology or social media
- Interactive workshops on performing Golden Age drama
- Round table discussions on performance
- Performance aspects of dramatic texts
Papers should be 20 minutes in length and may be delivered in Spanish or English. To submit an abstract, fill out an Abstract Submission Form. If you are a graduate student, after submitting your abstract, please also send your completed ten-page paper in Word to email@example.com. This applies to all students, including those who have been invited to be members of panels, whether organized by faculty members or others. Graduate students whose papers are accepted for presentation will be considered for the Everett W. Hesse Travel Grant (one award) and the Everett W. Hesse Conference Award (two awards covering the cost of conference registration). The new deadline for receipt of all submissions (abstracts and graduate student papers) is October 1, 2018. Submitters will be notified of their status by November 1, 2018. Check the 2019 conference page for further details on the symposium, registration, and lodging.
We wish to thank our supporting institutions.